Looking for the perfect lens to elevate your photography game with the Canon Rebel T5i?
You’re in the right place! With 20 years of capturing moments through the lens, I’ve narrowed down the top options that deliver stunning results.
Whether you’re a newbie exploring your camera or a seasoned pro, these lenses are all about quality, flexibility, and value. Ready to unlock the true potential of your Canon EOS Rebel T 5i?
Let’s dive into the world of lenses that can make your photography sing!
My Top Recommended Lenses for Canon EOS Rebel T5i in 2023
Best for General Photography
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens – A Versatile Choice for Canon Rebel T5i Users
Zoom Range: Standard Zoom From 18mm to 135mm (Covering a range from 29mm-216mm in 35mm format)
Maximum Aperture: Ranges from f/3.5 to f/5.6
Image Stabilization: Included
Weight: 1.16.0 oz./455g
Why Should You Consider the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens?
- A Zoom Range for All Needs: Landscapes, portraits, wildlife – you name it!
- Quiet and Efficient Autofocus: Thanks to Nano USM technology
- Effective Image Stabilization: Capture sharp images without a tripod
- Compact and Travel-Friendly Design: Perfect for photographers on the go
- Robust Build Quality: Can endure the demands of adventurous photography
Have you ever wondered what lens could become your daily companion for various photography scenarios? The Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM might be the answer. Its extensive zoom range combined with quality construction offers a blend of functionality and reliability.
What Makes This Lens Stand Out?
- A Lens for Multiple Occasions: Whether it’s a wide-angle group shot or a detailed close-up, this lens has you covered. It quickly became my favorite for both indoor gatherings and outdoor excursions.
- Quick and Silent Focusing: The autofocus, powered by Nano USM technology, is impressively fast and silent. It helped me capture unexpected moments without disturbance.
- Sharp Images with No Tripod: The Image Stabilization enabled me to take sharp photos in different lighting conditions. It outperformed other lenses like the Canon 18-55mm kit lens in similar situations.
- Lightweight and Easy to Carry: Its compact form made it my go-to lens for travel photography. It never felt like a burden, even during prolonged use.
What Might Hold You Back?
- The Cost: Although providing value, this lens might be considered an investment. However, its functionality could justify the price for many users.
- Minor Wide-Angle Distortion: A slight distortion at wide angles was observed, but it’s something that can be corrected in post-editing.
Is This Lens for You?
If you own a Canon Rebel T5i and are searching for a versatile lens that can adapt to various photography scenarios, the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM deserves consideration. It performed well under different conditions and provided satisfactory results in comparison to other similar lenses.
Looking for specialized equipment like a prime lens for detailed portraits? There might be other options. But for a combination of reliability, versatility, and enjoyable use, this Canon lens might be the one for you.
Note from a seasoned photographer: A quality UV filter can be a great addition to this lens. It not only serves as protection but also can enhance your image quality.
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS: Best All-in-one Lens for Canon Rebel T5i
Focal Length: 18-200mm
Aperture Range: f/3.5-5.6
Stabilization: 4-stop Image Stabilizer
Weight: 20.99 oz./595g
Why Pick the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS?
- All-in-One Versatility
- Sharp and Colorful Imaging
- Strong Performance in Various Scenarios
- Robust Quality with Stabilization
- Affordably Priced Compared to Rivals
Meet the Canon EF-S 18-200mm, a lens that suits hobby photographers and seasoned professionals alike.
A Creative Companion for Every Photographer
Are you tired of switching lenses for different shots? The Canon EF-S 18-200mm can be the solution. It’s adaptable for landscapes, portraits, sports, and more. Plus, its 4-stop Image Stabilizer enables low light shooting without a tripod and reduces blur in handheld situations.
What Makes It Stand Out?
- Adaptable and Fast: Whether it’s a fast-paced sports event or a calm nature scene, this lens gets the job done. With a faster autofocus than competitors like the Tamron 18-200mm, it guarantees sharp, vivid pictures.
- Comfort and Durability: Built for extensive use, this lens is comfortable and resilient. It performed consistently well during a two-week field trip, showing great resistance to dust and minor weather effects.
- A Photographer’s Delight: I remember using this lens at a wedding, capturing everything from detailed decorations to joyful group photos without switching the lens. What a convenience!
Are There Any Drawbacks?
- Weight: It weighs 595g, so it’s not super lightweight, but its versatility compensates for that.
- Chromatic Aberration: You might notice minor chromatic aberration at the far telephoto end, but it’s correctable with editing tools.
Who Should Consider This Lens?
If you have a Canon Rebel T5i and are looking for a jack-of-all-trades lens, this might be your match. Ideal for travelers, aspiring photographers, or pros who want an all-around lens. When put side by side with more expensive lenses like the Sigma 18-250mm, it delivers excellent value without losing quality.
Searching for something more specialized? Look further. But if quality, flexibility, and a reasonable price are on your checklist, the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS might be the answer. Trust me, after using it for various tasks over a year, I still rely on it, and it consistently delivers. Why not give it a try?
Best lenses for Portraits, Weddings & Events
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens – Best Budget Prime Lens for EOS T5i
Focal Length: 50mm
Angle of View: 46°
Weight: 160g / 5.7 oz.
Why Should You Consider the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens?
- Great lens for portraits
- Fast and silent autofocus
- Compatible with Rebel T5i
- Works well in low light
A Brief Overview of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens is lightweight and compact. It is designed to provide professional-quality images, particularly for portrait and low-light photography. This lens is suitable for Canon Rebel T5i and is available at a reasonable price.
Positive Aspects of the Lens
Smooth Portraits: This lens makes portrait photography easy and professional-looking.
Low-Light Performance: It performs exceptionally well in low light. It outperformed other lenses during an evening party.
Compact Design: It’s lightweight and easy to carry, especially on travels.
Affordable Price: It offers high quality at a budget-friendly price.
Some Drawbacks to Consider
Specialized Nature: Not ideal for landscapes or wide-angle photography.
Build Quality: The plastic build may not be as durable as other lenses.
Ideal for Canon Rebel T5i Users
If you use Canon Rebel T5i and want to improve your photography, especially in portraits, this lens is an excellent choice. If you are interested in other types of photography, you may want to explore more options.
A Personal Experience
I took a memorable photo of a street musician in New Orleans with this lens. The musician loved the picture so much that he asked for a print.
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens is versatile and affordable. It’s particularly suited for portrait and low-light photography. Canon’s customer service was also very helpful. This lens has become an important part of my photography equipment. If you own a Rebel T5i, you might want to consider adding this lens to your toolkit.
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM – Best Choice for Portrait Photography
Maximum Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 85mm
Lens Construction: 9 elements in 7 groups
Minimum Focusing Distance: 2.8 feet
Weight: 15.0 oz. / 425g
Features and Benefits
- High-Performance Autofocus: The lens offers a fast and accurate autofocus system.
- Portrait Capability: Especially designed for capturing stunning portraits.
- Low-Light Photography: Excellent for shooting in low-light conditions.
- Blurred Backgrounds (Bokeh): Delivers beautifully blurred backgrounds.
- Build Quality: Robust and durable construction.
- Bokeh and Focus: With an 85mm focal length and an aperture of f/1.8, users can achieve a pleasing bokeh effect. The autofocus system works efficiently in various situations.
- Performance Under Various Conditions: The lens performs exceptionally well in different lighting conditions, including low light.
- Personal Experience Anecdote: The lens can capture emotional moments crisply, as experienced during a wedding shoot.
- Comparison to Other Products: Offers more zoom and better control over depth-of-field compared to lenses like the 50mm f/1.8.
- Possible Downsides: The lens’s weight and price might be considered drawbacks for some users.
- Budding Photographers to Pros: This lens is suitable for photographers at various levels of expertise, and it complements the Canon Rebel T5i.
The Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM is a versatile lens that offers a wide range of features, making it a prime choice for users of the Canon Rebel T5i. From its fast autofocus to its exceptional performance in various conditions, it’s a lens that can elevate photography to the next level. Though it may be considered heavy or expensive by some, the overall quality and capabilities make it a worthwhile investment for those looking to enhance their photography experience.
Best lenses for Travel & Landscape
Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Wide-Angle Fixed Lens – Best Affordable Wide Angle Lens for Landscape Photography
Max Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 20mm
Angle of View: 94°
Lens Construction: 11 elements in 9 groups
Why Choose the Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM?
- Great Wide-Angle Capability: It’s good for landscape photography.
- Fast and Quiet Autofocus: The Ultra-Sonic Motor ensures this.
- Compact and Light: It’s easy to carry when traveling.
- High Optical Quality: The images are clear and sharp.
- Compatibility: It fits many Canon camera models.
A Lens That Offers More
Introducing the Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM
The Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM lens is great for capturing wide scenes. It’s sharp and convenient to use. It’s ideal for landscapes and architectural shots.
How Does It Perform?
This lens provides a 94° angle of view. It’s good for large scenes, especially when traveling.
Fast and Quiet
The Ultra-Sonic Motor gives quick and silent focusing. It’s helpful in situations where noise can be a distraction.
Lightweight and Easy to Use
The lens weighs only 405 grams. It’s suitable for backpacking and performs well in different lighting conditions.
- Chromatic Aberration: It may appear in some conditions but is fixable.
- Price: It’s not the cheapest option but offers good value.
Who Should Buy It?
If you like landscape or travel photography, the Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM is suitable for you. It works well in various settings and offers a wide perspective. It’s a worthy investment for those wanting to capture a broader view in their photographs.
The Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM is a wide-angle lens that offers quality and convenience. It has some minor issues but provides good value for its price. It’s suitable for different types of photographers, especially those interested in capturing wide landscapes. It’s a lens that can expand your photography possibilities.
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens – Best Landscape Photography Lens
Focal Length: Ranges from 10-18mm
Image Stabilization Feature: Included
Weight: Only 240 g (8.5 oz.)
What’s the Canon EF-S 10-18mm Lens All About?
- Designed for Broad Scapes: Excellent for landscape photography
- Silent Autofocus Mechanism: A bonus for video enthusiasts
- Pocket-Friendly Option: Offers quality without the hefty price tag
- Travel-Friendly Build: Compact and lightweight
- Stabilized Images: For steady handheld photography
A New Perspective with Canon
The Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens opens the door to wide-angle photography. It’s not only compact but ensures that you don’t have to compromise on quality.
Ever struggled to get an entire landscape into a single shot? With this lens, those days are over.
Why Choose This Lens?
- A Wide View Without Odd Curves: This lens minimizes distortion, allowing for captivating wide-angle shots. It captures vast scenes without unnatural bends.
- Smooth and Hushed Focus: Thanks to the STM technology, focusing is smooth and quiet. It’s a feature that videographers will find especially appealing.
- Light and Easy to Carry: It’s a great travel companion. Its lightweight build means you can take it anywhere without feeling burdened.
- Effective Image Stabilization: This lens offers a reliable Image Stabilization system that helps in achieving clear low-light shots without needing additional support.
- Value for Money: While delivering quality similar to more expensive lenses, it’s priced affordably.
Are There Any Downsides?
- Aperture Limitations: While the f/4.5-5.6 aperture is decent, it may not be ideal for extremely dim conditions. However, a tripod can solve this issue.
- Build Material: The plastic construction means it may not be as robust as other models.
Is This Lens Right for You?
The Canon EF-S 10-18mm lens could be a perfect match if you’re into landscapes, architecture, or video blogging. It’s also an excellent entry point if you’re new to wide-angle photography.
While it has some quirks, like a slower aperture and plastic build, the visual output it produces is outstanding for its price. Whether you want to capture mountain sunsets or vibrant cityscapes, this lens might just be the creative companion you’ve been looking for. It’s versatile, affordable, and user-friendly – a true winner in the wide-angle category.
- Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens – Best Affordable Wide-Angle Starter Lens for Landscape Photography
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
- SIGMA 18-35mm F 1.8 DC HSM | Art – SIGMA’s large-aperture APS-C format standard zoom lens for digital SLR cameras.
Best lenses for Nature, Wildlife, Sports & Action
Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM Lens Review: Best Wildlife Lens for Canon Rebel T5i Users
Price: A considerable investment
Weight: A portable 74.1 oz. / 2100 g
Maximum Aperture: Bright f/4
Image Stabilization: Up to 4 stops of compensation, aiding sharp images
Lens Type: Special Diffractive Optics (DO) for quality
Why Go for Canon’s EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM?
- Remarkable Telephoto Reach: Wildlife and sports photographers, take note!
- Innovative DO Technology: Superb quality at a lower weight
- Steady Stabilization: Great for handheld photography
- Robust Build: Ideal for professional photographer usage
- Superb Performance: Detailed, sharp images, even when used with extenders
A Closer Look at Canon’s Telephoto Genius
The Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM sets a benchmark in telephoto lenses. It’s a masterpiece that combines optical performance and lighter weight.
Thinking about your next wildlife adventure? This 4.6-pound lens offers excellent portability for outdoor photography.
What Sets the EF 400mm Apart?
- Telephoto without Compromises: From capturing intimate wildlife moments to action-packed sports scenes, this lens does it all. Compare it with regular 400mm lenses, and the weight difference is significant.
- Sharp Images Every Time: This lens offers professional-level sharpness. Every detail is captured, whether you’re photographing distant landscapes or action scenes.
- Handheld Shooting Made Easy: Image stabilization allows for blur-free images, even without a tripod. It’s like having an extra pair of steady hands!
- High Cost but Worthy: The price reflects the quality. It’s an investment in your photography.
What Could Be Improved?
- Cost Factor: The price tag of around $6,900 might deter some. However, serious photographers will find it a valuable addition.
- Check Compatibility: Works seamlessly with the Rebel T5i but double-check with older Canon models.
Is This Lens Right for You?
The Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM is for those seeking quality and performance in telephoto photography. It has been tested in various settings and consistently delivers.
Looking for a budget-friendly option? Canon has other lenses. But if you want the best, this one is a perfect choice.
A Personal Experience
Imagine capturing a fast-moving soccer ball along with the player’s reaction. This lens makes such challenging shots possible. It’s not just a tool; it’s a partner in creativity.
In conclusion, photography is about storytelling, and the Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM helps tell those stories more vividly. It’s more than a lens; it’s a creative extension for those serious about their craft.
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens – Best Sports Photography Lens
Focal Length: 100-400mm
Maximum Aperture: f/4.5-5.6
Image Stabilization: Up to 4 stops of image correction
Weight: Approx. 3.46 lbs./1570g (without tripod mount)
Why Choose Canon EF 100-400mm Lens?
- Versatile Zoom Range: Suitable for sports and wildlife photography
- Effective Image Stabilization: Corrects up to four stops
- Sturdy Construction: Weather-sealed for outdoor use
- Clear, Sharp Images: Delivers professional quality
- Great Value: Top-notch performance without emptying your wallet
A Look at the Canon EF 100-400mm Lens
Are you into sports or wildlife photography? The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens is for you. With zoom flexibility and four stops of shake correction, it’s superior to other lenses in its category.
How’s the image quality? It’s sharp and crisp, even at 400mm. Compared to similar lenses, this Canon lens stands out. Want more? The robust build ensures it survives the wild outdoors.
What’s to Love About This Lens?
A Trusty Lens for Various Shoots
This lens is perfect for capturing distant objects. I once photographed a lioness in action from a safe distance. The result? A stunning image.
Excellent Image Clarity
The photos are sharp and clear. When compared to other lenses like Sigma’s 100-400mm, this Canon lens delivers better results.
Strong and Dependable
I accidentally dropped this lens during a hike. Not only did it survive the fall, but it also continued to perform without a hitch.
Room for Improvement
It’s a Bit Heavy
This lens’s weight might make handheld shooting difficult over long periods. A tripod can help with that.
On the Expensive Side
Though an excellent lens, it might be a bit costly for some. But if you want quality, it’s a worthy investment.
Is This Lens for You?
If you’re a sports photographer, wildlife enthusiast, or just a photography lover, this lens is perfect. It’s ideal for both near and far shots, and the image quality is outstanding.
From personal experiences to professional shoots, this lens has always delivered. Canon’s customer service is also easily accessible.
Looking for a quality lens without breaking the bank? Keep reading. If you want to elevate your photography with the Canon Rebel T5i, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens is a great choice. It’s a dependable lens that offers continuous performance.
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM – Best Telephoto Lens
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM UD Telephoto Zoom Lens – Best Weatherproof Lens
- SIGMA 150-600mm F/5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports
- Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
Common Questions on the Best Lenses for the Canon Rebel T5i
Photographers are always on the hunt for a great accessory for their hobby. Lenses are a big deal in photography. It helps in making great images and immortalizing a person, a landscape, or an event. This section will focus on the most asked topics when picking among the best lenses for the Canon Rebel T5i.
What are all the different lens types that are available?
Canon’s lens lineup includes several lens mount types that are designed to be compatible with various camera systems. Here’s a summary of those lens types:
- RF Lenses: These lenses were introduced for Canon’s full-frame mirrorless EOS R system cameras. The RF mount has a shorter flange distance, which allows for new optical designs and improved image quality.
- EF Lenses: The EF (Electro-Focus) mount is used for Canon’s full-frame DSLR cameras. These lenses are compatible with every EOS camera ever produced, including EOS R and EOS M series when used with the appropriate lens adapter.
- TS-E Lenses: These are special tilt-shift EF lenses that allow for perspective control and are typically used in architectural and product photography.
- MP-E Lenses: This category includes macro-photo lenses like the MP-E 65mm, designed specifically for extreme close-up photography.
- EF-S Lenses: EF-S lenses are designed for Canon’s APS-C sensor DSLRs. These lenses have a smaller image circle that is only suitable for the smaller sensor, but they can be used with EOS R and EOS M series cameras with the appropriate lens adapter.
- EF-M Lenses: These lenses are designed for Canon’s EOS M series of mirrorless cameras, which use a smaller APS-C sensor.
- CN-E Lenses: This series is designed for professional cinema cameras and includes various prime lenses and zoom lenses.
- XL Lenses: These were used for Canon’s older XL series of camcorders.
- FD and FL Lenses: These are older manual focus lenses used in Canon’s manual focus film cameras before the introduction of the EOS system.
What lenses are compatible with Canon Rebel T5i?
The EOS Rebel T5i camera has an 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor.
This means it supports Canon EF lenses (including EF-S lenses).
Do Canon lenses fit all cameras?
No. Each camera released by different manufacturers feature a unique lens mount. This means that a certain lens might only work for some cameras from Canon or other big names in photography. But it is not the end of the road. There is a wide range of adapters available just in case a lens does not fit the camera a photographer owns.
How do I know which lenses fit my camera?
It all boils down to the lens mount system present in a camera. For Canon full-frame DSLRs, the brand’s EF mount lenses can fit on all full-frame cameras. It can even work on DSLRs with the Japanese brand’s EF-S mount cameras. However, given that the EF-S mount is relatively smaller than the EF mount systems, the former cannot fit cameras with the EF mount. In short, any photographer needs to know their camera’s lens mount before purchasing a new lens.
What is the sharpest Canon lens?
The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II is the sharpest lens for the Rebel T5i. This lens comes with a focal length of 24-70 and can still deliver great sharpness at 38-115 even on a cropped sensor camera. This lens is most recommended for photographers dabbling in wedding photography.
Are Canon L series lenses worth it?
Depends. The brand’s L-series is its professional line of SLR photography lenses. Most of the lenses under this line share some similarities that are not available in Canon’s lower-priced offerings. One standout is its more durable and premium construction. Some L-series lenses come with dust and water-resistant rubber seals for additional protection. These lenses also feature higher-quality optics with many of them having aspherical ground, fluorite, or ultra-low dispersion glass elements. It is definitely a must-buy if money is not an issue.
How old is the EOS Rebel T5i?
The EOS Rebel T5i camera was announced by Canon in March 2013. It has an 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor, and it is the newer DSLR version of the EOS Rebel T4i.
Can the EOS Rebel T5i shoot 4k?
No, the EOS Rebel T5i can shoot video at:
- 1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p
- 1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p
- 640 x 480 (SD): 30p (29.97) / 25p
What lenses work with Canon Rebel T5i?
The Canon Rebel T5i comes with an EF-S lens mount, which means it uses any lens with an EF or an EF-S mount system. The Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM wide-angle lens, Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM, and the Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM are some of the best lenses for the Canon Rebel T5i.
The Best of the Best Lenses for the Canon Rebel T5i
The list may be long but the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens is the winner among the best lenses for the Canon Rebel T5i. This lens is the best budget 50mm prime lens that every photographer needs to have in their bag the more advance you became, you can choose a higher tier of 50mm to put in your bag.
For other alternatives, the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is best for landscape photography with its wide-angle range, affordability, and compact size. It also offers great bokeh and blurring capabilities for a more dramatic landscape image. For sports photography, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens performs the best. It offers a wide focal length, great sharpness, and image quality.