Mirrorless cameras have taken over the digital photography scene. The Nikon Z 5 is a great camera for getting into the world of mirrorless photography and that means you need the best lenses for Nikon Z 5 to go with your new camera.
The best lens for Nikon z 5 is, hands down, the Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S. It’s an all-in-one powerhouse that covers just about every style in a single package.
However, there are other lenses that might be even better for you! Let’s find out what it takes to be the best lenses for the Nikon Z5.
Introducing the Top 10 Lenses For Nikon Z 5
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S: The Best All-in-one Lens for Nikon Z5
- Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S: Best Macro Lenses for Nikon Z5!
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S: The Best Portrait Lenses for Nikon Z5
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S: Best Wide-angle Zoom Lenses for Nikon Z5
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8: Best Wide-angle Prime Lenses for Nikon Z5
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S: Best Telephoto Zoom Lenses for Nikon Z5
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S: Best Street Lenses for Nikon Z5
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S: best Nikon z5 lens for travel
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S: The Best Nikon Z5 Lenses for Video
- Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR: Best Everyday Lenses for Nikon Z5
Let’s jump right into the top lenses for the Nikon Z 5 mirrorless camera!
- Introducing the Top 10 Lenses For Nikon Z 5
- 1. Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S: The Best All-in-one Lens for Nikon Z5
- 2. Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S: Best Macro Lenses for Nikon Z5!
- 3. Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S: The Best Portrait Lenses for Nikon Z5
- 4. Nikon NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S: Best Wide-angle Zoom Lenses for Nikon Z5
- 5. Nikon NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8: Best Wide-angle Prime Lenses for Nikon Z5
- 6. Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S: Best Telephoto Zoom Lenses for Nikon Z5
- 7. Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S: Best Street Lenses for Nikon Z5
- 8. Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S: best Nikon z5 lens for travel
- 9. Nikon NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S: The Best Nikon Z5 Lenses for Video
- 10. Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR: Best Everyday Lenses for Nikon Z5
- Tips for Buying the Best Lenses for Nikon Z5
- Wrapping Up: The Best Lenses for Nikon Z5
1. Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S: The Best All-in-one Lens for Nikon Z5
Perfect for a One-Lens Kit!
What makes this top the list of the best standard zoom lenses for Nikon Z5? It’s all about features, performance, and handling just about every style of photography in one lens body!
The 24 to 70mm focal length gives photographers everything they need to handle wide-angle, nature, street, events, and even portraits. The only styles this lens would struggle with would be more specialized photography styles like macro and nature or sports photography that benefit from ultra-telephoto focal lengths.
The build quality on this Nikon Z5 lens is also a stand-out feature. The programmable control ring and LF.n function button combine with nano-coated glass and two separate AF drive units for buttery bokeh and crisp edges.
The f/2.8 aperture also gives photogs an edge when shooting in the poor lighting conditions you encounter during events, street photography, and anywhere that does not have studio lights!
- Easily one of the best lenses for Nikon Z 5 for all-around photography
- Covers everything from wide-angle photography to portraiture shots
- Dust and water-resistant body is perfect for pros working in tough conditions
- The f/2.8 aperture helps for photogs working in dim conditions like events and news coverage
- Missing image stabilization
- Not the most budget-friendly option
- A good zoom lens, but does not cover telephoto ranges
2. Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S: Best Macro Lenses for Nikon Z5!
Getting Up Close Without Compromise
The list of the best lenses for Nikon Z5 continues with a macro lens for the Z mount system. Macrophotography lets you get up close to some small subjects, so it needs a specialized lens that can handle a specialized style.
There are some absolute musts when it comes to finding the best macro lens for the Nikon Z5. This lens needs true 1:1 image recreation, image stabilization, and a workable minimum focal distance. This lens delivers on all three fronts and more.
This lens works on both FX and DX-format cameras but has an equivalent focal length of 157.5mm on DX cameras.
The bright f/2.8 aperture and Vibration Reduction image stabilization mean you will get crystal clear images even when working in less than ideal lighting conditions.
You’ll find all of the programmable buttons and other features that you come to expect from high-end Nikon lenses. Really, if you do macro photography for nature, products, or even weddings, this is the lens for you!
- Image stabilization which is an absolute must for macro
- True 1:1 image recreation
- Minimum focus distance of 11.4 inches is ideal for real close-up work
- The lens has a fluorine coating that is purpose-built to resist the dirt and water smudges that many macro photogs struggle with
- No built-in LED light which other brands of macro lens come with by default
- Bigger and heavier than some macro lenses
- There are adapters that turn regular lenses into macro lenses which only cost a few dollars
3. Nikon NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S: The Best Portrait Lenses for Nikon Z5
Take the Clearest Portrait of Your Career!
The NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S is the ideal choice if you’re after the best portrait lens for the Nikon Z5. Whether you’re just taking super clean photos on your family vacations or you’re a pro taking paying headshots, this lens will not disappoint.
Portraits demand a clear image. The 85mm focal length removes much of the distortion that we find with lenses. The multiple lens coatings and the arrangement of extra-low dispersal elements also remove common visual problems like chromatic aberration.
This lens also sports a multi-focus system that combines with an always-on manual focus override, so you can quickly nail the correct focus for every shot.
Pros and amateurs will find this to be the right lens for their portraiture.
- Nanocrystal coatings, extra-low dispersal elements, and a super coating help to create crystal clear images
- Multi-focus system is quiet and fast, so your portraiture subjects stay in the moment
- 85mm is considered to be the ideal focal length for portraits
- Full-time manual override keeps you in control of the focus when working with moving subjects
- This short telephoto lens is going to struggle when shooting in tight spaces
- Lacks the weather sealing you find on other brand’s portraiture lenses
- No image stabilization
4. Nikon NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S: Best Wide-angle Zoom Lenses for Nikon Z5
Photograph Everything from Sky to Scenery
Mirrorless camera owners have been looking for a wide-angle zoom lens to round out their kits. Nikon has stepped up and released one of the best lenses for Nikon Z 5—or really any mirrorless camera.
You’re probably used to seeing some pretty high price tags for wide-angle zoom lenses, but this lens is actually fairly affordable when you consider the competition. It delivers on pretty impressive performance. This lens balances these extreme wide angles with clear and distortion-free images.
This is the lens you reach for when your favorite styles are architecture, landscape, and even astrophotography. This lens also has more creative applications for people looking to take portraits or do street photography that won’t look like your standard 35 to 85 mm work.
You’ll also find some familiar favorite features from Nikon’s high-end mirrorless lenses. You’ve got programmable buttons and control rings, nanocrystal coating on the glass, and a rounded seven-blade diaphragm for smooth shots.
Add this to your wide-angle kit once, and you’ll quickly find that you never home without it.
- Ideal focal length for architecture, landscapes, and astrophotography
- Nikon went out of their way to balance the extreme wide-angle with some great glass
- Strong set of high-end features will make demanding photo shoots much easier
- Could have a brighter maximum aperture for some dimmer conditions
- Specialized focal length means this is the second or third lens in your all-around kit
5. Nikon NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8: Best Wide-angle Prime Lenses for Nikon Z5
Streamlined, Lightweight, and an All-around Hit
This lens is in the running for one of the first lenses you should buy for your Z mount camera. It’s extremely affordable, ultra-lightweight, and can handle wide-angle styles alongside street photography and even a clever portrait or two.
It’s the f/2.8 aperture and the 28mm focal length that let this lens stand out. That’s a clever combination that combines with the dual AF focus motors for versatile performance.
You might not think a 28mm lens could handle a portrait, but the seven-blade diaphragm and electromagnetic aperture mechanism mean you can achieve smooth bokeh in a short lens.
Some of the lenses in this list cost more than a new Z mount camera, but the Nikkor Z 28mm certainly doesn’t! The budget factor plays a huge role in this lens’ success.
At this price and with these features, adding one to your kit is just a natural decision!
- Easily the most affordable Z mount lens
- One of the lightest lenses made by Nikon
- Still delivers on great wide-angle shots despite the streamlined package
- Missing some features found in more expensive Z mount lenses
- Maybe too basic for experienced photographers
- Not in the same category as the “pancake” lenses offered by other brands
6. Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S: Best Telephoto Zoom Lenses for Nikon Z5
The Most Impressive Features for the Most Demanding Shots
Now we get to talk about the sweet spot for telephoto zoom lenses. The 7 to 200mm range is exactly where you want to be when it comes to zooming in with a telephoto lens. This lens will cover everything from portraiture on the low end all the way up to sports and nature photography on the high end.
This is a lens that’s built to handle extreme and demanding conditions. It’s got three separate coatings over some of the most impressive glass we’ve seen from Nikon’s mirrorless lenses. It’s clear that Nikon pulled out all the stops to deliver on a lens that they knew was going to see demanding conditions.
This could also be a great first lens purchase for your kit. This lens is going to be the go-to choice for everyone from parents at their kids little league game all the way over to working photojournalists.
In any event, you can’t go wrong when you pick up the Nikkor Z 7 to 200 mm VR S lens.
- ARNEO, nanocrystal, and Super Integrated coatings
- Six extra-low dispersion elements in addition to fluorite and short-wave reflex elements
- Removable rotating tripod collar, programmable ring, and L.Fn button
- Vibration Reduction
- Integrated OLED panel
- Crisp aperture perfect for fast subjects
- All those features make for a heavy lens
- Might cost more than your camera
7. Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S: Best Street Lenses for Nikon Z5
The Best Lens for Street Photography (And Maybe Everything Else!)
The best street lens for Nikon mirrorless cameras is also the best 50mm lens for Nikon Z5. It all comes down to a lens that strikes that delicate balance between budget and features.
The stand-out feature on this lens is the stunning f/1.8 aperture. This is exactly what you need when shooting street photography in dim conditions. It also lets you tackle outdoor photography on a mirrorless camera and even events like weddings.
Professional photographers have long kept these affordable 50 mm lenses an industry secret. Even the most experienced, and well-paid, photographers are still going to have these 50 mm lenses in their kit. Despite their modest budget, they’re packed with all the features you need to deliver images that are ready for galleries or paying clients.
We’ve known professional photographers who mostly do telephoto or wide-angle work to still have a 50 mm prime in their kit just in case. If you’re shooting on a Nikon Z5, this is the 50 mm that will round out your lens kit.
- Reasonable price and decent features make it beginner-friendly
- 50 mm is ideal, or at least usable, for nearly every style of photography
- Enough features to make it capable of handling professional-level work
- Not as many features as high-end lenses
- Not quite the “plastic fantastic” of other brand’s 50 mm options
- No vibration reduction
8. Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S: best Nikon z5 lens for travel
A Second 24-70mm With an Important Twist
Rounding out the best lenses for the Nikon Z 5 mirrorless camera means knowing that travel photography comes with its own risks. Plenty of travel photographers leave their most expensive gear at home and take the old faithful lenses that can take a beating on the road.
The Nikkor Z 24-70 mm f/4 S is the lens for travel photographers. Where you trade on aperture, you save on nearly half the cost of the lens overall. This gives you a lens that you don’t have to baby when you travel.
It also has plenty of features. Everything that this lens trades for cost savings can be made up with precision and skill. It’s got a programmable ring, lens coatings for reduced flare and ghosting, and a uniquely crafted set of glass elements for cleaner images.
- Serious cost savings for travel photographers
- Focal lengths cover wide-angle through portraiture
- Ideal for a one-lens travel kit on a budget
- No vibration reduction
- Dimmer maximum aperture
9. Nikon NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S: The Best Nikon Z5 Lenses for Video
A Versatile Lens Ready for Any Film Project
There are a few things that every videographer or mirrorless filmmaker needs in a lens. You want a versatile focal length paired with a bright aperture. Nikon delivers both of these features alongside customizable options with solid build quality.
This lens has nanocrystal coatings as well as multiple elements which reduce distortion and errors in your image. The programmable control ring also gives you more options for how you interact with your lens during shoots.
The focal length and the aperture are the keys here. 35 mm is going to allow you to do everything from wide-angle filming to close-ups. Just be ready to “zoom with your feet” as they say.
- 35mm is a natural choice for film
- Bright f/1.8 aperture gives you plenty of filming options
- Programmable control ring and always-on manual focus override give you more control over your filming style
- Stepping motors for smooth autofocus
- Not weather sealed so a cover is vital for working in rainy conditions
10. Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR: Best Everyday Lenses for Nikon Z5
One Lens for All Occasions
Sometimes, the best lenses for Nikon Z5 are the lenses that you can use every day. The Nikkor Z 24 to 200mm VR lets you enjoy everything from wide-angle photography to telephoto all in one lens.
This is really a single lens that you can carry with you every day even if you’re into a diverse set of photography styles. Throw this one lens in your bag, and you’ll be able to rest assured knowing that you can handle any photo ops that pop up in your frame.
The aperture and features are fairly modest, but this is nothing you can’t overcome with skill. If you’re after one lens to just always have with you, this lens is really offering something that you can’t pass up.
- A focal length range that handles everything from landscape to telephoto
- Vibration reduction for smoother images
- Can even handle video
- Outperformed by prime lenses and more specialized focal lengths
Tips for Buying the Best Lenses for Nikon Z5
Even budget lenses can be pretty expensive, so you want to make sure that you are picking the right one for you. Here’s how you can find the best lenses for the Nikon Z5 mirrorless camera.
What Nikon Z Lens Should I Buy First
The first Nikon Z mount lens that you should buy should let you explore a variety of photography styles. The 24 to 70 mm lens is an ideal choice for first-time lens buyers. This lens will let you explore a variety of focal lengths and styles before you get into more specialized, and more expensive, lenses.
What Lenses Work On Nikon Z
As Nikon’s mirrorless lenses get more popular, more people ask what lenses are compatible with Nikon z5? These lenses use the Nikon Z mount system. This covers both FX, or full-frame, cameras, and DX, or crop sensor, cameras.
Is Nikon Z5 Good For Professional Photography
At first glance, the Nikon Z5 might not seem like it’s ready for professional photography, but it can handle paid work. This camera has plenty of features, is more than capable of delivering crisp images, and can handle shooting at a variety of demanding conditions. It’s a full-frame mirrorless camera that’s more than ready to join a professional photographer’s kit.
Does Z5 Shoot 4k
The Nikon Z5 can shoot 4k video, but there are a few important things to consider. This camera shoots 4k video with a 1.7x video crop while higher-end mirrorless Nikon cameras do not have that same crop. It is still capable of shooting high-quality 4k video.
Is Nikon Z5 Good For Food Photography
The Nikon Z5 is a great choice for food photography. This mirrorless camera can deliver both high-quality images and video for food photographers posting to social media or working in studios. You also have a wide variety of lenses that gives you plenty of options for capturing compelling images of a meal.
Will Sigma Make Z Mount Lenses
Z Mount lenses, along with other mirrorless lenses, are still new to the market. Sigma has announced that they have plans to release their own Z Mount lenses by the end of 2022.
Are There Third Party Z Mount Lenses
There are third-party options for finding Z Mount lenses even this early in the game. IRIX, Kipon, and Meike are just a few of the more recognizable brands that have released Z mount lenses. Sigma and bigger third-party lens brands are expected to release their own Z mount lenses in the near future.
Wrapping Up: The Best Lenses for Nikon Z5
Which of the best lenses for Nikon Z5 cameras is the one that you’re adding to your photography bag?
Our pick for best of the best was the Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S lens. It’s great for first-time lens buyers, one-lens kits, and has more than enough for pro photographers. With that said, the Nikkor Z 14-30mm f/4 S is ideal for photographers who prefer wide-angle shooting, and the Z 50mm f/1.8 S should be the first choice for street photographers.
At the end of the day, the best lenses for Z5 cameras are the lenses that inspire you to push your art to a new level.